A few weeks ago Jared delivered a message at RH about communication and the challenges for Christians in discerning GOD’s will. He made a sarcastic comment that spoke directly to me; “Sometimes you look at your life and cannot guess the plans ahead, and you think GOD is the worst communicator. But we forget, or overlook, that GOD created communication; how could HE be the poor communicator..?”
As I thought about that I began to think about the freedom that comes with accepting less control in my life. As I turn over my life to GOD on a daily basis I wake up in a joyful mood seeking to love those around me; I forget the weight of decisions I will need to make in two, three, five, ten years and my eyes adjust to the souls around me.
As most of GOD’s lessons do, this one expanded in my mind with more thought. The same way I can take daily attitude, behavior, words, and thoughts and tune them to GOD’s voice I can take new life seasons and turn them over to HIS leadership. I find that I am good at submitting daily decisions or big life events, but rarely let go of both. Sometimes I feel that it is too much to turn over all of my life, so I pick either the small or large choices. If I go to bed overwhelmed by big college decisions, than I wake up the next morning to submit my current life season to HIS glory. If I go to bed feeling anxious about my family or friends than I wake the following morning asking for GOD’s spectacles, self-control, mercy, grace, understanding, and humility. But it seems like such a massive challenge to practice both. To wake up each morning content with all of my life, decisions big and small, in HIS hands.
I rave on a regular basis about how much freedom I feel when I am abroad. I feel an intense connection with GOD, and HE has a known presence near me at all times. For a while I thought that strong connection faded when I arrived in the States because I was not as obviously dependent on HIM. To some degree that may be true, but I also believe that I am quick and certain to dedicate my actions, thoughts, vision, and hearing to HIM each day when I know I am unable to control my surroundings. Well, despite my familiarity with my surroundings, I have no more control in my hometown than I do on the other side of the world.
I took some BIG steps recently, and I know they will require BIG effort on my part in submission. I have been looking at apartments in the Long Beach/Orange County area; it has become necessary for me to move closer to school in order to finish my degree in this millennium. I would like to be closer to my church body, my closest friends, and grow as an adult on my own as well. I am happy to announce that the search ended last night in Newport Beach. I have been emailing an amazing young lady named Tamara; she is an International Relations major at Vanguard and she has been looking for a roommate. We seemed to click instantly; we have very similar personalities, the same passion to help people in dire need, and an understanding that neither of us is a millionaire. I looked at the house last night, and I absolutely adore it; the location is beautiful and the atmosphere is wonderful. I can feel a MAJOR growing experience on the horizon; I am actually experiencing the same “approaching a waterfall on a raft” emotions that preface a mission trip.
That alone should be enough of a warning that GOD is opening a new door in my life, but if that wasn’t enough HE has sent me job interviews, internships opportunities, Heart4Africa projects, helpful friends, a supportive family, and messages/readings/journal entries that speak to the heart of the issue.
For instance, at life group last week a discussion was sparked, off of Sunday’s message, about how to discern GOD’s voice in your life. I said I don’t feel I can predict the future no matter how close I am to GOD. I feel that GOD teaches you things through experiences, and if you collect those lessons in your heart, and practice them regularly than you will be prepared to deal with the future. You decide what path to take when you approach the fork in the road. If you make the wrong decision, but your ear is set on HIS frequency, than HE can redirect you in the way HE planned for you. I see myself, and those closest to me, as a collection of lessons GOD taught us; we are most effective when we share those lessons with each other in order that “iron sharpens iron” might be true. I heard Les Brown speak once, and he said, “If you are the smartest person in your group of friends than you need a new group of friends.” I agree, but I would expand that to say, “If you are the only person growing (or not growing) in your group of friends than you need a new group of friends.” Through encouragement in many forms, I am being prepared to open a new season of life. I am realizing that this new season will require full submission on a daily basis, as well as continued stewardship, responsibility, generosity, humility, and flexibility as those are lessons HE taught me in the last few years. By no means have I mastered any of the above, but hopefully through time and discipline I will be a little better at them all in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment