24 June, 2008

I didn't know this was a season

I really should sit back and laugh because I thought my short life had tasted a little bit of every spiritual season. I was driving to work a while ago frustrated because I could not express how I felt. To say, "I feel a new chapter in my life is beginning" was incomplete. "I am experiencing a dry/joyful/peaceful/anxious season" was wrong as well. And since I am one who appreciates clarity, condense expressions, and intentional sincerity it bothered me that I could not explain myself. And then it dawned on me...I am not beginning a new chapter, but a new volume.
This is what I have been feeling like; I only waited this long to share it with everyone because I wanted to test my theory. I feel like my teenage years of discovering GOD have come to a close, and now an intense maturity session is starting. Lately I have felt an unrelenting desire to study (I know it's absurd that this is coming out of my mouth), and I feel joyful about it. I hold the same curiosity about GOD that I always have, but now I feel as though I need to strengthen some of foundations laid down. Almost like I am a hot air balloon, and each discovery of GOD is a new anchor to HIS kingdom. I have many anchors, but they are not very strong...like trying to hold down a hot air balloon with yarn.
Anywho, one of my favorite people (and fellow book lover) suggested I pick up Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster after I vented and raved about how none of my favorite books seem to speak to this season of my life. What a BRILLIANT suggestion...for those of you who have never stumbled upon this book you are MISSING out. It is pages and pages of intelligent, witty, sincere input and explanation regarding spiritual disciplines. There could not be a better book choice for my current state...other than the bible itself which never gets old.
Aside from reading this book (ps quotes will come later), I have been doing a lot of "observing" of my own life. At the many blessings I have, the wealth of my life, and where my real abilities to serve are as opposed to where I think they are. The truth is, anyone can serve at some capacity; but unfortunately many don't feel they can. It is easy to see the opportunities when wealth seems to abound and time opens up. But, as with all of life, you have the decision to chose this lifestyle when things get tight. Our economy is slapping everyone right now, but lingering in a pot of anger will only make you boil. I have spent A TON of time recently, in silence, thinking of my loved ones (specifically those in my immedient family). I have spent a lot of time investing in my international family, and the wealth of those experiences is beyond words and miles. But I have never felt as much joy as I have lately in my immedient family.
I find myself in a new season of life...a new volume of life, which I have never experienced before and I have no clues or hints of how to navigate. But I feel equiped to know where to look, and what basic beliefs to hold onto. The next few years, or however long it takes to complete this volume, will probably be as crazy, wild, and unexpected as the first...but I would not have it any other way.
~blurbs from R.Foster to come~
~~PICK UP THE BOOK~~

No comments: