09 February, 2008

Heart 4 Africa action

Another trip has come, and as with all things new learning, revision, and perspective have to be sought and valued. Heart4Africa has some AMAZING projects in the works, and our organization has had some divine appointments. We have run into an over-qualified doctor who is working along side us to combat Malaria using similar methods to what the United States used in Florida and Louisiana (believe it or not we had malaria problems years ago). Malaria is one of the leading killers of people in Africa, especially young children whose bodies cannot fight back without medical aid. We have also been introduced to companies who build roads and buildings with natural products that will not harm the environment or build up in the ecosystem; and the amazing thing about these procedures is that they are actually cheaper than regular building projects. Who knows what kind of awesome things could come from that networking. GOD has also led us to partner with Acres4Life...a RAD non-profit whose focus is on building African communities to be success and independent of American aid in the realm of agriculture (which is the most effective since agriculture effects all areas of life in rural communities). Our meeting with Acres4Life (A4L) revealed like visions, callings, and passions for humanitarian aid and extending GOD's love.
All these things have led to a very busy schedule for Heart4Africa (H4A). Often times, as I have experienced in the past, teams (on every level...leadership or volunteer) can sense a distinct divide between tasks that are deemed unimportant because they are mundane or have less action packed inside. In this area GOD has also proven faithful as HE orchestrated the inter workings of our team. We are a group of volunteers who hold full time jobs, school careers, families, outside commitments...and an ENDLESS amount of fuel for those in need. In our interactions with each other, with our new families in Africa, and with partners in the States we can clearly see GOD's hand.
We send out a HUGE THANK YOU to those who support our missions in prayer, conversation with others, donations, volunteering time, and networking. You are not only a testament to GOD's faithfulness, provision, and love...but an example to our communities in Africa that Satan has no control where the love of GOD reigns!
Below is my first ministry letter...I invite you to read it. 2008 is the first year that I am starting these, and the positive response has been a blessing...



“And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
~1 Corinthians 13:13~



This quote has never encompassed so much to me as in the last year and a half. I have been in search of deeper ways to live out faith, hope, and love; this search is both agonizing and fulfilling at the same time. Agonizing because I realize how often I fail in these areas, and fulfilling when I come to understand the immeasurable love, grace, and mercy GOD intended for us through these things. Seeking GOD’s truth in prayer and reading reinforces my discomfort with this world, and encourages my passion in global outreach. Wes Stafford (CEO of Compassion International) says, “Poverty is an inside-out issue. It does its greatest damage on the inside, where it often cannot be seen…at its very core, poverty is a mind-set that goes far beyond the tragic circumstances. It is the cruel, destructive message that gets whispered into the ears of millions by the enemy Satan himself: ‘Give up!’ Unless there is an intervention of love and hope, these seeds of apathy lead inevitably downward to an even lower death sentence called fatalism” (Stafford 184, 185, 188 Too Small to Ignore bold mine). I have witnessed this hopelessness first hand, and it breaks my heart to see poverty drowning the soul it infects. Thankfully I am not alone in this lifelong passion to end poverty’s grasp on children; I have joined a team of incredible people who refuse to let children suffer alone at the hand of Satan. Heart 4 Africa (H4A) is new organization that seeks to educate, lift up, disciple, encourage, and open the hearts and dreams of children in Kenya and Uganda so that GOD can touch their lives. Since I became involved with Africa my life is forever changed. My goals each morning are brighter, and what I consider an “accomplished day” is totally different than before.
I have been drawn into Africa as I have been into my relationship with CHRIST…like a sweet sweet addiction you never want to lose. Donald Miller says “there are things you chose to believe, and beliefs that chose you” (Miller 55 Blue Like Jazz). Africa’s plight is a calling that my soul bleeds for, and I am overjoyed that it found me. I believe the passions in my heart have been divinely positioned for just such a calling, and my involvement in H4A has been an incredible blessing and an empowering responsibility. Rob Bell makes an interesting distinction that I used to overlook: “What’s disturbing then is when people talk more about hell after this life than they do about hell here and now. As a Christian, I want to do what I can to resist hell coming to earth. Poverty, injustice, suffering-they are all hells on earth, and as Christians we oppose them with all our energies. JESUS told us to” (Bell 148 Velvet Elvis). This is what I live and breathe these days; it is my pleasure and challenge in this life. I can tell you, I understand hell much more after standing in an IDP (internally displaced persons) camp than I do when I read phrases like “gnashing of teeth” from the bible; not because one description is more accurate than the other, but because one became reality for me. Unfortunately there are children who understand hell much more than I because they live in it everyday. H4A refuses to pretend these circumstances do not exist; our team hopes to give back to the children in Kenya and Uganda their dreams, their potential, their hope, their faith, and their love.
My purpose in sending this letter is to invite you to join us. Join a team of people who are reaching out with hope and restoration. H4A in currently working on:





  • Child Sponsorship


  • Building projects


  • Micro-financing


  • Men’s workshop


  • Women’s craft outlet


  • Electricity and Plumbing


  • Outreach teams sent to Kenya and Uganda


  • Recycling fundraiser


  • Medical aid


  • Farming Projects



For details on any of these projects please email me
tina.cochran@heart4africa.org, and I urge you to prayerfully consider getting involved. I am currently raising $2,000 to go to Kenya and Uganda in February for three weeks; if you are in a position to contribute financially the money will be greatly appreciated and will go directly to serve these communities. H4A is a non-profit organization, which means any donations can be used as a tax write-off. Checks can be made payable to Heart 4 Africa and mailed to:
Tina Cochran
20501 Thundersky Circle
Riverside, Ca 92508
I will continue to raise money year-round for future trips, and specific projects (such as a mattress drive, dorm room construction, and our school’s art program); I will send out ministry letters each January and July to update supporters and remind readers that the chance to give never disappears. And the eternal blessings of living a life of giving far outweighs the stressful blow delivered by this world, our demanding culture, and the negative propaganda fed to us each day. Giving leads to freedom; like a marathon runner who takes deeper more energetic breathes in the middle of a race to keep their body sharp. Giving allows to you escape the grasp of Satan and his dark shackles.
In closing, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you also for the prayers dedicated to the children seemingly lost in poverty. Your prayers and financial gifts are changing lives. Our website, www.Heart4Africa.org, is under construction and it will be available soon so keep your eyes open!!!!
Thank you,
GOD bless!!!!

No comments: