The doctor's "discharge instructions" diagnose me with an "Upper Respiratory Virus," but I don't know why they don't just say Bronchitis. It would save ink, paper, and an annoyed-at-their-ten-dollar-words eye roll from me.
Anywho, through all my stuffy,snotty,slimy sick motion picture I have a few EXTRA clear shots. I sat down to chai with a friend of mine on Sunday night; we picked the comfy-est looking chairs in Gypsy Den, and ordered the recommendation of a very spunky server (vegetarian chili-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by two more people after dinner)! We got to talking about how marvelous the message was, and for those of you who missed RockHarbor's message Sunday night...GET IT off the website!!! The discussion led to our dreams and excitement for missions. My friend remarked at how happy he was to contribute to changing lives, and how he couldn't wait to see the kids we know start impacting their communities. I paused for a second, because while I agree and also find joy in those things...there is something more.
More than watching them grow up in love
More than knowing they are now being afforded opportunities our SAVIOUR extends to them
More than laughing at how they teach their families all the things we teach them
When I finally grasped what was missing from the bubbly nature of the conversation I realized I hold the same dream for the kids that touch my heart that I hold for my siblings and myself...
I dream, and am passionately joyful about, watching them grow up to the servants in JESUS' parable of the talents. I am always amazed at how GOD trains, equips, and disciplines me to hold the character and integrity needed for the next mission; and I am always in prayer that HIS dedication to me will not be in vain, that I will produce more than HE poured into me. That GOD can entrust little to me, and I will be the right conductor for HIM.
What could possibly be desire more for a person..?
By what other standard can you consider a life a success..?
The people who inspire, challenge, and sharpen others are those who pull HIS glory, power, and love from a seemingly impossible circumstance.
I find so much inspiration in dreaming of being that person, but my heart overflows to think that one of the kids we touch is the next Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Wes Stafford. A child that might otherwise have fallen victim to poverty, gotten stung by addiction, or lost their life to evil.
You want to know why technology will never fulfil, and "faster is better" will always be empty..? Because technology and speed do not smile. They do not hug. They do not get up in the middle of the night and comfort. They do not expose themselves as vulnerable to build you up in strength. They may be dependable in their best moments, but they do not love. They are not patient.
My favorite verse in the bible is Matthew 6:21...it says where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
What are your favorite things..? Do they have an electronic rhythm, or a heartbeat..? Do they beep and ask for pin numbers, or do they demand you come to their athletic games and meet them for coffee..? Do they consist of registers and statements or do they show up uninvited but welcomed into your kitchen at 6 in the morning..?
What puts a bigger smile on your face...quantity or quality..?
As I talked with my friend Sunday night he remarked that there are many things he has not done that he used to dream of doing in high school. I could not resist rubbing in the fact that, for the most part, I skipped that part of life...I do what I love EVERYDAY. It is by the grace of GOD I have this blessing...HE sought me with the dedication of a starving lion, and I RELISH where I am. (Kind of like my RIDICULOUSLY funny cat...she just melts in the sunlight). I asked my friend what he was waiting for, I have a tendency to ask that a lot (of myself and others).
We have one heart, one heartbeat, and ONE life...what are you waiting for..?
No comments:
Post a Comment