28 July, 2007

What Mammoth can do for YOU

I have spent the last week catching up on rest and reading in Mammoth. And I've come back down the mountain with one solid conculsion: if you work, go to school, travel, or all of the above than Mammoth is for YOU. It was so relaxing to leave my lil black planner behind, pack my hammock, and take naps everyday for a week.
Now I know why youth camps are always held in the mountains...because you can't truely put your stress behind you until your biggest concern becomes "which direction is the bear coming from?" To be honest this is the only year I can remember camping when I did not see a bear...but all my other trips have taught me to be on the lookout always. :)
So while you all were working and/or studying...I was reading, hiking, and observing GOD's handiwork. And now that I've made you all mad at me...I'll share some of the beauty Mammoth has to hold!



This is the Devil's Postpile. The awesome design in the rocks was made by fire and water. Each little slice of rock has a geometric shape on top.









This is the design of the Devil's Postpile
from the top.













This is what the forest looks like on the hike up to Devil's Postpile











These are natural hot springs. Three years ago I went wading through some of them, and now they are closed because one of the springs turned into a Geyser.








The colors in the springs are REALLY pretty too!











We also hiked to Mineret Falls. It's one of my favorite hikes, and the falls are a perfect reward after the walk. Most of my family took our shoes off and climbed around on the rocks...if you look REALLY carefully you can see my brother near the middle of this photo.






My brother and I take up the adventurous side...we climbed more than half way up the fall!










"The Lovebirds" as I have dubbed them...my WONDERFUL grandparents!!! They are the glue that holds my busy family together!









My family can look like a hill-billy clan when we're all eating...but we have the best times too!










And what were we eating..?



The other end of these!













After catching them my brother thought that the mountain commerical for Afflac should be a fish head...











He caught them on this lake...Sotcher Lake...it's beautiful










But because I think fishing is boring I was reading!











We also got visits from these creatures...





She showed up a few different times, and it became a family game to look for her. Kind of like Finding Waldo.









Now this little bugger, and his friends, came really close to us. We watched them snag sunflower seeds and either store them in their mouths or bury them when they thought nobody was looking.














So, if I could highlight anything it would be:

WE ALL NEED VACATIONS!

So take one..!

No comments: