23 July, 2008

The BEAUTY of friends

Sometimes it is easy to identify the beautiful things GOD has left scattered around for us to find. But often the details of HIS work evade our eyes amongst the distractions. One thing has been on my mind lately, the beauty of friendships. Not aquaintances...friends (those that can nail your soul to the wall in five sentences or less).
I went to lunch with a dear friend of mine last Friday and, as usual, left the conversation full of joy. This friend of mine has a heart much too big for the States which may be why she moved to the Dominican Republic to teach English for this past year. Now she is considering moving to Mexico on a similar serving project. In the midst of catching up we realized that many of our emotions and thoughts were identical. This is always an immediate sense of peace when you find someone in your same boat...or in their own boat traveling the same river.
One of many topics we covered was the need we both feel for deep friendships. Her being out of the country has limited the depth she has been able to find. My living 6 cities away from my church body, friends, life group, and serving place has put a damper on my search as well. I noted that I have not been able to find depth recently, except for my boyfriend and GOD-sisters (but they don't count in this instance), and it was beginning to wear on me. I also expressed irritation at the number of shallow friendships available; it truly is difficult to find people willing, understanding, flexible, and dedicated to going deep and changing inside out.
Then my friend, of infinite borrowed wisdom from GOD, made a statement that revealed the condition of my heart. She said, "Tina, I understand what you are saying, and I feel the same way. But we were both in that place at one time." And she was right; I have vented about my current position, dreamed of what it would look like to change, and even raised my hand in support of deeper commitments...but I didn't change.
We continued talking and my appreciation for deep friends grew and felt very fulfilled, but I also recognized hints of a judgmental critic inside me. I realized I may be seeking depth, I may need it in order to mature...but to find irritation in others who are not at that point yet is wrong. After all, I have been there myself and it was through patience, inspiration, and support that I grew.
I am exceptionally thankful for my close friends. Most of you are overseas...but I have never forgotten your faces, your laughs, your thoughts, or your warmth. i appreciate each e-mail, every package, and all the good times. As we grow GOD becomes more beautiful and HIS attributes appear in you to me. You challenge me to be better, you encourage me to continue submitting my insides, you chase the enemy's despair out of my room, and you stand with me (just far apart)...
BLESSINGS to you.

No comments: