11 October, 2009

What a call

I stumbled across a community recently. A community that embodies CHRIST's servitude and love in a powerful way. This community is The Garden in Long Beach. Tonight GOD's word took on a new light through the words of Darren and Bill; they were explaining the Beattitudes in Matthew. And, in GOD's gracious timing, it seemed that their words were speaking directly to a current struggle of mine...and of course, it begs to be explained again.

I, like many others in service tonight, fell under the umbrella of believing that the Beattitudes were a list of characteristics that a citizen of the KINGDOM of GOD should exibit. But, as Bill and Darren explained, these are specific qualities of the ignored, abandonded, abused, and neglected that are pointed out as a way to include them in a gospel and KINGDOM thought only to belong to the priveledged.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the KINGDOM of heaven." I always thought that "poor in spirit" meant humble. But, in this context, it's much closer to "spiritually bankrupt," and it means that you don't have to pick yourself up off the ground in order to be eligible for the KINGDOM.
"Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." This isn't saying that everyone should mourn or that mourning is in any way a positive feature. With short life spans and high infant mortality mourning was a common part of life during biblical times, and this speaks to those who are mourning...their circumstance does not translate to "GOD is not with you." Just the opposite in fact, in your hardest times GOD is with you.
"Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." I was always under the impression that "meek" meant a shy personality. This scripture is actually talking about the people that cannot stand up for themselves; it is a call to stand beside them and be their voice, providing the strength and perserverence to see the helpless through the darkness.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled." I honestly never connected with this verse, unless I was thinking of those people physically starving in other nations. Bill and Darren did an excellent job pointing out that this line is referencing those individuals who are so used to being abused, ignored, neglected that it has become their dispair; all they long for is justice.
"Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy." (This is the one that KILLED me). Bill posed a GREAT question: who wants to be merciful to someone that wronged you..? I had a rough week with a co-worker last week, and my Friday ended in frustration, shock, entitlement, and anger. So as Bill and Darren explained this Beattitude, I realized how broken I am in this. My aunt also sent me an encouraging e-mail reminding me about how the enemy loves to side-swip us, and how often he uses other broken people to attack us through.
"Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see GOD." Brennan Manning has a wonderful story of a couple who brought their Down Syndrome son to church and sat in the back, they seemed to act ashamed of him. The pastor called them into his office one day and explained that he had lost a child with Down Syndrome. Although the pastor had other children, the loss of this child was particularly painful because that one child, with a simple mind, acted as a doorway to GOD. Bill illustrated that same picture. Darren added to that by saying that sometimes we fall victim to "perfectionism" and being overly critical; we are afraid to mess up because that means punishment...but GOD does not want perfect, he wants honest trust.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of GOD." (Another one that KILLED me). Bill illustrated this verse better than I have ever heard it before. If you imagine an arbitrator standing between two arguing spouses; this person is taking hits from both sides. This is a person that other people admire, but do not want to be. This person is a PERFECT representation of JESUS...because HE stood in the gap for each of us, and would do it again. I feel very connected to this verse, and I need to take up this burden for my students. Most of my students come from broken homes, and they have stood inbetween bickering parents or been physically beaten while protecting a loved one. Who is standing in the gap for them..?
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righeousness for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." These are the individuals that are mocked, accused, and insulted because of their faith. Instead of just awknoledging them, GOD offers to sit in the spit with them. The encouragement is to let the temporary insult roll off your back because it means nothing compared to the wealthy inheritance of the KINGDOM.

I felt so empowered after hearing that message; and bestowed with the perfect pieces of wisdom to take to work this week. I should not behave entitled with this co-worker of mine because Earthly recognition or respect should not be my aim. I LOVE my job because of the kids I get to interact with, and the MILLIONS of opportunities for GOD to work in their lives. I get to spend 45 minutes praying for them as I drive to work, and as my aunt pointed out, I should be praying for my lost co-worker as well. I can sit in the spit for a while knowing that GOD is right next to me and I can display mercy because righteousness is a wealthier cause.

THANK YOU LORD for messages meant for me.

No comments: